Thursday, January 16, 2014

DWP ‘treating me like a liar’, says Dundee cancer sufferer

Patricia Nicol was diagnosed with high grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma in August last year and has been unable to work since.

On the advice from her doctors and support staff at Maggie’s cancer care centre in Dundee, Patricia applied for a personal independence payment (PIP) from the Department of Work and Pensions to help her get by.

However, more than 10 weeks and six chemotherapy sessions later, the Happyhillock woman is still on a waiting list to be assessed for her eligibility for the payment.

When Patricia, 40, contacted the DWP last week she was told she was on a waiting list for a home visit from a doctor to confirm her illness. “It feels like they are treating me and my doctor like liars,” she said. “It is an awful feeling.”

Patricia, who is married to David, said: “The payment would help with our everyday living costs. It would help to pay for parking at the hospital and all the little costs associated with being sick. We have been living off our savings but they are almost gone.”

The PIP scheme is intended to help with some of the extra costs caused by long-term ill-health or a disability for people aged 16 to 64.

Patricia and David believe the PIP system is unfair and needs an overhaul. It is like a big waiting game to them,” she said. “I have to wait to see another doctor because they won’t believe the information I sent from my own doctor.”

David added: “The way the system works is wrong. The new system was brought in to discover how much help people really need, but it isn’t working.”

PIP was brought in to replace the Disability Living Allowance early last year, but the roll-out has faced several delays and criticisms.

“Financially we will continue to struggle if we don’t get this payment,” Patricia said. We will just have to cut back on our spending and live only on essentials.”

Patricia is still waiting to discover whether her treatment has been a success. I have had six rounds of chemotherapy, but I will not know what the next step is for me until I have a scan and discover whether the cancer has reduced or spread.

“It’s all just a waiting game and I can’t make plans because I have no certainty. The chemo has made me tired and sick all the time. I would love to go back to work, but I can’t.”

A DWP spokesperson said they would contact Patricia “to update her on the benefit claim”.”We are aware that the end-to-end claims process is taking longer than expected,” the spokeswoman said. “In particular, providers are telling us that the assessments are taking longer than expected.“We are working with providers to ensure that all the steps in the process are as smooth as they can be.”

Dundee Evening Telegraph