Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Sanctions: Cruel to be kind ... or just simply cruel?

From the Grimsby Telegraph:

IN JUNE, the Government and the JobCentre nearly killed me after they put a sanction against my Jobseekers Allowance after a misunderstanding over one of their instructions.

In all they only paid me money for just 17 days, I had to live on raw onions and cherries off a tree in my garden to survive.

Yet when the national figures were reported on the news (and they took only about ten seconds to report it but on the same news bulletin a minute or two talking about oversize manequins), they said 400,000 people had been sanctioned 580,000 times in the last nine months up to June and that was it! No proper investigation whatsoever.

There is what I consider to be an attempted genocide of the unemployed going on in this country!

May I suggest that Ian Duncan Smith, the Works and Pensions Minister, is really a weapon of mass destruction aimed at and exploding amongst the unemployed by David Cameron, George Osbourne and Nick Clegg.

Never in the history of human conflict has so much been owed to so many by so few.

Sanctions that leave the unemployed with absolutely nothing to live on are evil regardless of any rationalisation by this government.

I would say this government can be defined by its tightness with money, there is no generosity of spirit, no kindness.

Also I do not buy into this UK PLC mentality of Prime Minister David Cameron. This country is far more than its businesses, its character is far more important than its wealth, which I hope I've demonstrated in standing up for what is right in this letter.

SP Stiff, Weelsby Street, Grimsby.

Grimsby Telegraph