Thursday, October 24, 2013

Taking DLA Away From Disabled People Is A Dangerous Experiment


For disabled people like me and thousands of others, the disability living allowance (DLA) could be described as the glue that holds our lives together. The higher-rate mobility component, in particular, has provided me with secure support with my mobility needs since I first claimed, on the advice of my GP, in 1995. But this secure support could all come to an end under personal independence payment (PIP), which replaces DLA from April 2013.

After all consultation stages on the new benefit have finished, the government has decided at the last minute to restrict eligibility to the enhanced mobility component of PIP by excluding those who can walk more than just 20 metres. In common with many wheelchair users I can still walk in my own home, and I intend to continue to do so for as long as possible.