Monday, April 29, 2013

Bedroom tax: disabled woman could lose home taxpayers have paid £10,000 to adapt

Carmen Haynes062A

A DISABLED Hampshire woman faces being thrown out of her home just a year after her husband died, because of the Government’s new “bedroom tax”.

Taxpayers have already spent £10,000 adapting her home but now Carmen Haynes says she will have to move to smaller accommodation after being told to pay an extra £100 a month.

Carmen, from Romsey, who uses a wheelchair, is still grieving following the loss of her husband David less than a year ago.

She said: “I applied to Test Valley Borough Council for Discretionary Housing Payment and was told that I would be charged £25 a week for the two extra bedroom rooms that I have and this money will be taken out of the benefits I receive or I will have to move.

“I can’t afford it and they know it. What choice have I got? I will be forced to move. They’ve told me they’d try and push for a two-bedroom house for me but my house has large rooms and I need them for my electric wheelchair which takes up a lot of room and I wouldn’t be able to use it in a smaller property.

“I will end up bedridden. This is all physically and mentally crushing.”

Around £10,000 has been spent by Hampshire’s social services on adapting Carmen’s home to her needs.

This includes installing a stair lift, putting in a wheelchair ramp outside her front door and adapting the toilet.

“This was all taxpayers’ money, What a waste of money if I have to move,” added 54-year-old Carmen, a former secretary of Romsey Disability Forum group, who has vowed to fight on to remain in her home of 21 years that she rents from Aster Communities.

A council spokesman said: “Local authorities are charged with implementing the new rules and must comply with the legislation. “A letter was sent in January to all those affected by the new legislation clearly setting out the rules and their options.

“We are unable to comment on specific cases. However, individuals can apply for a discretionary payment and each case will be considered on its merits.”

Romsey MP Caroline Nokes said people like Mrs Haynes should receive the payment.

“I am surprised to hear that TVBC benefits team are taking this stance with Mrs Haynes. The Government has trebled the Discretionary Housing Payment budget to enable local authorities to respond on a case by case basis.

“There is £25m to support disabled people living in heavily adapted accommodation, which Mrs Haynes certainly is.

“I am very happy to approach the borough council on this matter because the aim of this policy is not to discriminate against people like Mrs Haynes, but to make sure there is the best use of housing stock.”

The Daily Echo